1. Eat five or more servings of a variety of vegetables and fruits each day. Look for vegetables seasoned with herbs or lean spices rather than butter, sour cream, or cheese. Ask for sauces on the side.
2. Choose restaurants that have low-fat low-cholesterol menu items. Choose foods that help you to maintain a healthful weight.
3. Limited consumption of red meats, especially those high in fat and processed. Choose lean deli meats like fresh turkey or lean roast beef instead of higher-fat cuts like salami or bologna.
4. Select poultry, fish, or meat that is broiled, grilled, baked, steamed, or poached rather than fried.
5. At fast-food restaurants, go for grilled chicken and lean roast beef sandwiches or lean plain
hamburgers (but remember to hold the fatty sauces). Salads with low-fat salad dressing, low-fat milk, and low-fat frozen yogurt. Pizza topped with vegetables and minimum cheese is another good choice.
6. Order a low-fat dessert like fruit ice, sorbet, sherbet, or low-fat frozen yogurt.
7. To help prevent dental caries, avoid continuous snacking on high-sugar foods, especially those that stick to the teeth.
8. Don’t be afraid to ask for foods that follow your eating pattern.
9. Control serving sizes by asking for a small serving, sharing a dish, or taking some home.
10. If you drink alcoholic beverages, limit consumption. Limit intake to no more than two drinks per day for men and one drink per day week for women. Regular consumption of even a few drinks per week has been associated with an increased risk of cancer in woman.